30.6 C
Thursday, August 11, 2022

What Are the Documents Required for Canada Work permit?- Canadianvisa.org

Canada is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in another country. Working in Canada allows you to travel, explore, earn dollars and gain valuable work experience. In addition, because Canada has such a strong economy, it’s a popular destination for foreigners to work temporarily and eventually immigrate.

Before moving to Canada and working there, you need a valid Canadian Work Permit. This allows business people, students, temporary workers, and permanent employees to legally work in Canada and, by extension, earn money, pay taxes, and conduct business.

Work permits are granted to foreigners for a particular time depending on what work is being conducted and for how long.

Getting a work permit in Canada is the first step of your journey. However, before you can apply, you must gather a long list of documents, like a valid job offer letter and proof of funds. So let canadianvisa.org answer one of your most asked questions about work permits: What Are the Documents Required for Canada Work Permit?


The first document you need is a form of identification, usually your passport.

Because the validity of a work visa cannot exceed the validity of a passport, your passport should be valid for the duration of your employment in Canada.

The photocopy of your passport information page must include the following:

  • Passport number
  • Issue and expiry date
  • Photo, name, date and place of birth

Additionally, you need two pictures that fulfill the Visa application photograph standards of yourself and any accompanying family members.


Provide proof of education in the form of degrees, certificates or diplomas. You can also add transcripts and mark sheets to show your education history.

Work Experience

Various documents are needed to prove your work experience. Provide copies of appointment letters and relieving letters from your present and past employers as well as:

  • Copies of payslips
  • Bank statements
  • Reference letters that include the duration and scope of your work
  • Letters from employers that describe your precise job obligations and duties
  • The name, address, and phone number of previous employers

Proof of Funds

Provide proof of personal money saved to support yourself, such as:

  • Income tax returns for the last two years
  • Bank statements or books for the previous three months
  • Documents proving ownership of property or income or investments

Dependents and Family Information

If you’re planning to move with your spouse or partner, you’ll need:

  • Copies of the marriage certificate and birth certificates for any accompanying dependents.
  • Completed, signed, and dated Family Information Form (IMM 5707)


Fee Payment

Proof of fees paid applicable to the application for a work permit. Include the processing fee payment and biometric or Open Work Permit Holder fee.

Proof of Current Legal Status

Provide proof of legal status of your country of residence if it differs from your citizenship

Job Offer

To apply for a work permit, you need a valid job offer.

You also need proof that you meet the legal requirements for the job being offered. For example, a valid Canadian provincial or territorial trade certificate, educational prerequisites, or previous job experience as detailed in a resume.

You will also have to submit a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) provided by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) with your application to apply for a LMIA work permit.


Submit the following:

  • Evidence that you have no criminal past by submitting a Police Clearance certificate
  • Evidence showing you are in excellent health and willing to submit to a medical examination


If you want to work in Quebec, getting a work permit in Canada works a little differently. Before applying for a work visa from the Canadian immigration authority, Immigration, refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you must first get a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation, et de l’Intégration (MIFI).

Therefore, your employer must contact both the ESDC and MIFI to work in Quebec.

Post-Graduate Work Permit

In addition to the documents above, you must provide proof that you have completed the requirements of your studies. You can do this by submitting a final transcript and a letter from the institution or a formal notice of graduation.


There are several forms you must fill out:

  1. Application For Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM 1295)
  2. Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (IMM 5475)
  3. Document Checklist (IMM 5488)
  4. Family Information (IMM 5645)
  5. Schedule 1- Application for Temporary Resident Visa
  6. Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409)
  7. Use of Representative (IMM 546).

Certified Copies and Translations

Any photocopy you submit as part of your documentation must be certified. To certify a photocopy of a document, an authorized person must compare the original to the photocopy and provide their official stamp information, and it must be dated.

Unless otherwise specified on your document checklist, for Translations, you must submit a certified copy of the original document, an official English or French translation, and an affidavit from the translator if they are not a professional translator.

Types of Work Permits

The IRCC grants two different work permits:

Open Work Permit

A work permit that is ‘open’ permits you to work for any employer, anywhere in Canada (within certain legal limitations). You do not need an offer of full-time employment for this work permit.

Employer-specific Work Permit

As per its name, this work permit restricts you from working for a particular employer in a specific location. You are required to provide proof that your employer has offered you a job and that you intend to move to Canada for the purpose of fulfilling your employment duties. This permit sets out your:

  • Employer
  • Work Description
  • Locations where you may work
  • Work duration



What is a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?

An LMIA is a document issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that allows a company to engage a temporary worker. You will need to procure one to apply for an LMIA work permit.

Because of Canada’s early retirement rate combined with a declining birth rate, the working force in Canada is decreasing. As a result, the Canadian government has put in place policies to attract working skilled and unskilled workers to fill the labor gap.

One of these is the LMIA (Labor Market Impact Assessment). The hiring company must acquire an LMIA from ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada). This vital document allows Canadian employers to hire skilled foreign employees for jobs that Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot perform.

ESDC will review the employer’s LMIA application to determine the impact of hiring a temporary foreign worker on the Canadian labor market. The employer will receive either a positive or negative LMIA letter from ESDC. Your employer will provide you with a copy of this letter to include with your work permit application.

The LMIA is typically granted for a set amount of time, and the LMIA work permit issued will correspond to that time frame.

Are there any limitations to my Work Permit?

An immigration officer may impose, alter, or revoke requirements when granting a work permit. These might be any of the following:

  • the sort of job;
  • the employer for whom you can work;
  • where you can work;
  • how long you can work and;
  • the hours or periods of work.

Need Assistance?

Getting a work permit in Canada is the best step for temporary employees, international graduates from Canadian colleges, businesspeople, and anyone who wants work authorization in Canada. However, as you now know, there’s a lot of administration in getting a work permit.

By contacting us today, you’re asking for assistance from a team of professionals with years of experience in helping clients gather these documents. These Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) we work with will guide you through the process to make sure you have all the documents required for Canada Work Permit.


Latest news
Related news